PLEASE USE THE FIELD BELOW TO SEARCH THE MILITARY SERVICE FILES
The Military Service Files database includes an entry for all individuals identified in the military service files and/or military service ledgers of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and Newfoundland Forestry Companies the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and Newfoundland Forestry Companies duplicate remove, held by The Rooms Provincial Archives as part of GN 19 Newfoundland military service records (Great War) collection.
Included are the over 6700 members of the First Newfoundland Regiment (later "Royal") and the Newfoundland Forestry Companies, including officers, other ranks, Drum and Bugle Corps, attached specialists and special duty assignments.
An individual's complete service file is attached where available. Service files do not exist for all individuals identified in the records. In this instance, a database record was created based on content recorded in the Military Service ledgers.
Using the Military Service Files database
The records are keyword searchable and sortable based on the column headings: Name, Community, Service number, Age at enlistment, Next of kin, Occupation, Active date, Date of death and Religion. POW status and Fatality status are yes/no searchable fields.
- To search for a specific individual, enter their name and/or service number.
- To view the attached service file, click on the individual's name.
- To view details of an individual's commendations, select the pdf file at the right
- To sort the results of a large search, click on the column heading.
- To search for Prisoners of War, use the keyword POW.
- Notes concerning variant names, misfiled documents, additional service, etc. are included as required.
For additional information, including military service ledgers, photographs, personal papers, wills and other documents contact The Rooms Provincial Archives Reference Room email@example.com or 709-757-8088.
Or search the Provincial Archives on-line Descriptions Database at https://www.therooms.ca/archives.