PLEASE USE THE FIELD BELOW TO SEARCH THE MILITARY SERVICE FILES
The Military Service Files database includes an entry for all individuals identified in the military service files and/or military service ledgers of the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and Newfoundland Forestry Companies the Royal Newfoundland Regiment and Newfoundland Forestry Companies duplicate remove, held by The Rooms Provincial Archives as part of GN 19 Newfoundland military service records (Great War) collection.
Included are the over 6700 members of the First Newfoundland Regiment (later "Royal") and the Newfoundland Forestry Companies, including officers, other ranks, Drum and Bugle Corps, attached specialists and special duty assignments.
An individual's complete service file is attached where available. Service files do not exist for all individuals identified in the records. In this instance, a database record was created based on content recorded in the Military Service ledgers.
Using the Military Service Files database
The records are keyword searchable and sortable based on the column headings: Name, Community, Service number, Age at enlistment, Next of kin, Occupation, Active date, Date of death and Religion. POW status and Fatality status are yes/no searchable fields.
- To search for a specific individual, enter their name and/or service number.
- To view the attached service file, click on the individual's name.
- To view details of an individual's commendations, select the pdf file at the right
- To sort the results of a large search, click on the column heading.
- To search for Prisoners of War, use the keyword POW.
- Notes concerning variant names, misfiled documents, additional service, etc. are included as required.
For additional information, including military service ledgers, photographs, personal papers, wills and other documents contact The Rooms Provincial Archives Reference Room email@example.com or 709-757-8088.
Or search the Provincial Archives on-line Descriptions Database at https://www.therooms.ca/archives.
|Name||Community||Service Number||Age of Enlistment||Next of Kin||Occupation||Active Date||Religion||Fatality||PoW||Date of Death||Commendations||Notes|
|STOKES, H.F.||0-175||1916||No||No||Transferred to 1st Newfoundland Regiment at Ayr from Royal Irish Fusiliers.|
|MAIDMENT, G. H..||No information||0-176||Chaplain||1917||No||No||Attestation papers not included; not in service ledger.|
|CLIFT, John||100 Military Road, St. John's||0-177 - 503||21||J.A. Clift (p)||Bank clerk||1914||No||No|
|ALEXANDER, Conn||Twinstead, Sudbury, Surrey, England, United Kingdom||0-178||31||Mrs. Gladys Alexander (s)||1914||No||No||Attestation papers not included. Relinquished his commission 20 June 1916 ; transferred to Lord Strathcona's Horse Regiment.|
|ANDERSON, Hugh Abercrombie||St. John's||0-179 - 2120||John Anderson (p)||1916||No||No||Attestation papers not included; Includes written articles, concert programmes by the RNR band, public presentations and fund raising efforts.|
|STICK, James Robin Jr.||5 Devon Row, St. John's||0-18 - 46||26||James R. Stick (p)||Commercial traveller||1914||Church of England (Anglican)||No||No||I - Partially re-filmed at beginning of reel; several pages were filmed in negative format; Formal name is James Robins Stick; commonly referred to as Robin.|
|TIMEWELL, Henry Alfred||No information||0-180||1916||No||No||Attestation papers not included. Discharged in United Kingdom, possibily from UK|
|THISTLE, David||50 Longs Hill, St. John's||0-181||52||Bessie (Stowe) Thistle (s)||Lumberman||1917||Methodist||No||No|
|GODDEN, Malcolm||38 Freshwater Road, St. John's||0-182 - 615||29||Fredrica Godden (p)||Accountant||1914||No||No|
|MCLEOD, Norman Alexander||149 Gower Street, St. John's||0-183 - 158||22||Neil McLeod (o)||1914||No||No||Variant spelling of name - MacLeod Also contains documents relating to service #3539, Almer Dicks|
|WOODS, Lloyd W.||68 LeMarchant Road, St. John's||0-184 - 660||24||Sydney Woods (p)||1914||No||No|
|GARLAND, Charles Frederick||44 Carters Hill, St. John's||0-185 - 182||21||Annie Garland (p)||1914||No||No|
|MIFFLEN, James||Bonavista, Bonavista District||0-186 - 419||23||Mrs. Arthur Miles (p)||Trader||1914||No||No||Variant spelling of name - Mifflin|
|TOBIN, James John||114 Duckworth Street, St. John's||0-187 - 69||20||Alice Tobin (p)||Barber||1914||Yes||No||Tuesday, November 20, 1917|
|WHITTY, Gerald Joseph||336 Water Street West, St. John's||0-188 - 894||20||Mr. and Mrs. John Whitty (p)||Agent||1915||Roman Catholic||No||No|
|LEDINGHAM, James Allan||35 Military Road, St. John's||0-19||Miss E.V. Ledingham (o)||1916||Yes||No||Tuesday, October 9, 1917||I - Partially refilmed at beginning of reel - Attestation papers not included; Age of Enlistment: n/a.|
|SULLIVAN, Michael S.||32 Queens Road, St. John's||0-191||41||Kathleen E. Sullivan (s)||Booker||1917||Roman Catholic||No||No|
|BAIRD, William Herbert||Norris Arm, Twillingate District||0-192||43||Lumberman||1917||Methodist||No||No|
|GILLIS, Michael Joseph||Highlands, St. George District||0-193 - 8044||38||Elizabeth McInnis (p)||Lumberman||1917||Roman Catholic||No||No||Contains will of Pte. George Hollett, service #1799|
|HARVEY, Guy W.||Grand Falls, Twillingate District||0-194||30||Mrs. John Harvey (p)||Civil engineer||1917||No||No||Also see #0-33, Gerald Cockburn Harvey, for documents relating to this soldier.|
|OROURKE, William||55 Flower Hill, St. John's||0-195 [& 0-295]||37||Nina O'Rourke (s)||Clerk||1917||Roman Catholic||No||No||14p. of documents misfiled prior to microfilming are located under # 0-295.|
|URQUHART, James||No information||0-196||1917||No||No||Attestation papers not included. No information in service ledger. Variant spelling of name - Urquart|
|LEMESSURIER, H. [Hugh]||0-197||No||No||Civilian appointment as Honourary Lieutenant, administration of training camp, Pleasantville.|
|BURTON, R. de H. [Reginald de Hardwicke]||0-198||1914||No||No||Attached from 13th Middlesex Regiment as commanding officer. Name from Hart's Annual Army List 1882.|
|BUTLER, Henry Albert||Kelligrews, Harbour Main District||0-199 - 325||23||Reuben Butler (p)||Student||1914||No||No|
|FORBES-ROBERTSON, James||No information||0-2||No||No||Attached as 2nd in Command July 1916 - Aug. 1917|
|NANGLE, Thomas||0-20||Priest||1914||Roman Catholic||No||No||Partially refilmed at beginning of reel - Attestation papers not included.|
|DULEY, Lionel Thomas||51 Rennies Mill Road, St. John's||0-200 - 2945||18||Thomas J. Duley (p)||Bank clerk||1916||Yes||No||Monday, September 30, 1918|
|THOMSON, James Elliot||Sudbury, Water Street West, St. John's||0-201 - 61||22||Charles R. Thomson (p)||1914||Yes||No||Saturday, March 3, 1917||Discrepancy in spelling of name - Thompson; signature is Thomson|
|SNOW, Joseph Henry||26A Colonial Street, St. John's||0-202 - 74||26||George C. Snow (p)||Foreman tailor||1914||Church of England (Anglican)||No||No|
|WARREN, William Valence||231 Southside Road, St. John's||0-204 - 680||25||Cyrus Warren (p)||1914||No||No||Includes only partial attestation papers|
|FERGUSON, John Roy||67 Springdale Street, St. John's||0-205 - 882||26||Jeanette Herbert Ferguson (s)||1915||Yes||No||Saturday, July 1, 1916|
|JUPP, Henry Clifford Oliver||Oldfields Farm, Pulborough, Sussex, United Kingdom||0-206 - 157||24||Mr. [William] Jupp (p)||1914||No||No||Includes only partial attestation papers ; Also referred to as Clifford Henry ; Brother of Leonard John Jupp, # 162|
|TRESISE, George Leach||Devonshire, England, United Kingdom||0-207 - 906||22||James Tresise (p)||1915||No||No||Includes only partial attestation papers|
|NUGENT, Michael Joseph||Grand Falls, Twillingate District||0-209 - 428||43||Mrs. Michael Nugent (s)||1914||No||No||Includes only partial attestation papers.|
|EMERSON, George M.||Rennies Mill Road, St. John's||0-21 - 1879||21||George H. Emerson (p)||Bank clerk||1915||No||No|
|GREENE, William Howe||7 Waverley Road, Liverpool, England, United Kingdom||0-210||1916||No||No||Attestation papers not included ; musketry instructor.|
|PATERSON, John||Queens Road, St. John's||0-211 - 3454||17||Dr. L. Paterson (p)||Student||1917||Presbyterian||No||No|
|CLOUSTON, William J||77 Queen's Road, St. John's||0-212 - 3460||18||William J. Clouston Sr. (p)||Student||1917||No||No|
|STARKS, David Edward||Round Harbour, Twillingate District||0-213 - 3047||24||Mrs. Eli Collins (p)||Paper maker||1916||No||No|
|MCHENRY, William||Grand Falls,Twillingate District - formerly of Quebec, Canada||0-214 - 2285||26||Frank McHenry (o)||Machinist||1916||Roman Catholic||No||No||Four documents duplicated from #0-214 William McHenry are on the reel labelled as Bernard Forsey. Labels were placed by LAC at time of microfilming. Also contains documents relating to service #0-120-1553, Frank Burke|
|FORSEY, Bernard||235 Water Street, St. John's||0-215 - 12||19||Mr. Forsey (p)||Engineer||1914||No||No||Four documents duplicated from #0-214 William McHenry are on the reel labelled as Bernard Forsey. Labels were placed by LAC at time of microfilming.|
|WILLIAMSON, Harry||Bolton, Lancashire, England, United Kingdom - Grand Falls, Twillingate District||0-216 - 1759||27||Annie (Fish) Williamson (s)||Paper maker||1915||Methodist||No||No|
|WORNELL, Frederick John||81 Longs Hill, St. John's||0-217 - 1839||19||John Wornell (p)||Bank clerk||1915||Methodist||No||No|
|REID, Robert Bruce||Circular Road, St. John's||0-218 - 593||20||William Duff Reid (p)||1914||Yes||No||Saturday, July 1, 1916|
|MEIKLEJOHN, J. R.||No information||0-219||1917||No||No||Attestation papers not included. Transferred from Border Regiment|
|LANGMEAD, George Jr.||294 Water Street, St. John's||0-22 - 14||20||George Langmead (p)||Jeweller||1914||Yes||No||Saturday, December 8, 1917|
|BERNERS, Ralph Abercrombie||0-220||1917||No||No||Attestation papers not included - Transferred from Royal Welsh Fusiliers|
|ROWSELL, Jack [H. John R.]||Canterbury, England, United Kingdom - Bonavista, Bonavista District||0-221 - 619||19||Lydia C. Rowsell (p)||Theology student||1915||Yes||No||Saturday, July 8, 1916|
|MCGRATH, Thomas Bernard||40 Carters Hill, St. John's||0-222 - 128||19||Ronald McGrath (o)||Engineer||1914||No||No||Originally enlisted with the Royal Newfoundland Regiment; transferred to Newfoundland Forestry Companies Sept. 1917.|