National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
The Rooms will offer free admission and is open from Noon - 5 pm on Thursday, September 30 in observation of the National Day for Truth and Reconciliation. Please join with us to learn, reflect and take action.
What The Rooms is doing for Former Students, their families and Indigenous communities:
- The 94 Calls to Action from the Truth & Reconciliation Commission will be displayed in the atrium.
- Take time during your visit to listen to and read the stories of Former residential school Students in the exhibition “In Their Own Words”. Artifacts, artworks, and archival materials are combined in this exhibition to tell the story of residential schools in Labrador and Northern Newfoundland, as told by the Former Students themselves. Access the online collection here: https://www.therooms.ca/healing-and-commemoration
- Space and supplies will be made available in the Level 3 Atrium for you to leave a note about what you have done to make a change, or how you are working towards effecting change
- A selection of books by and featuring Indigenous voices will be available.
- A selection of NFB short documentaries and animations featuring Indigenous voices from across Canada will be featured in the theatre from September 27 – October 1 during open hours.
The Rooms recognizes that the process of reconciliation and decolonization is ongoing.
If you are a former student and need support: 24/7 National Crisis Line 1-866-925-4419
The Hope for Wellness line is available to all Indigenous Persons in Canada 1-855-242-3310