Call for Proposals
Studio Residency & Exhibition Opportunity
Deadline: January 30, 2013
The Rooms Provincial Art Gallery is dedicated to advancing the
work of visual artists in the province through its Elbow Room
Residency program. Acting as a ‘laboratory’ for developing new
ideas, methods and art works, this program provides a supportive
environment for emerging artists from Newfoundland and Labrador
to push their art practice beyond what circumstances might
normally allow, and helps them to move their career to the next
level. Providing a professional studio as well as material,
curatorial and technical support, the program culminates in a
solo exhibition, linking new art with new audiences.
The residency lasts for 3 months, and is open to emerging
artists from any medium. The studio is located within The Rooms,
and participating artists have access to it during operating
hours, seven days a week. 2-3 participants per year are included
- You are able to demonstrate at least 3 years of
professional commitment as an artist.
- You have completed basic professional training or an
equivalent combination of exhibition and critical review.
- Current students are not eligible for the program.
Applicants are considered by an in-house jury, including
gallery curators and the gallery director, on the following
- Quality of applicants work, as indicated by the
material (written/visual) provided in their application
- A record of exhibition and critical review
- Evidence that the applicant is at a stage in their
professional development which will be advanced by the
- The proposed project and its connection to art
gallery exhibition and programming goals
- Participants are expected to work in the studio
a minimum of 8 hours per week.
- Participants will engage in an open studio
session during their residency, wherein visitors to
The Rooms can visit the studio, see ongoing work and
talk with the artist.
- Present an artist talk/tour in conjunction with
Artists will be paid associated exhibition fees,
lecture fees and provided a modest materials budget
for their work in the studio.
How to apply
Send the following to The Rooms Provincial Art
Gallery, attn: Mireille Eagan
- written project proposal
- cd/dvd of images (jpegs, video, etc.)
- artist’s statement
- current cv
The Rooms Provincial Art Gallery
9 Bonaventure Avenue
P.O. Box 1800, Station C
St. John’s, NL A1C 5P9
We do not accept email submissions.